Thursday, 20 January 2011

Evaluation

I decided to include conspicuous similarities between the poster and the review, in order to create a visible link between the two. I used the same image and font so that it was obvious that the two products were related to one another and that they were related to the film. I included the actors’ names as I had on the poster and researched reviews in order to make mine as authentic as possible. I read various magazines from fashion to film magazines in order to gain an insight into the way film reviews are currently presented. I found that most publications divided their reviews into two sections. Most divulged the plot in a few lines and then reviewed the film afterwards. Another common feature was the rating – which can be presented using stars or numbers. I chose to use stars in my review as the rating is clearly visible. I also chose to include a ‘verdict’ section, where the review is summed up. I found this was used in many film magazines. I think that my review looks quite authentic as it uses many features used by actual film reviews. My research also helped me in the construction of the review as well as the actual writing of the review. The use of the image, actors’ names and font is also notable as it links the poster effectively with the review, and in turn, links both ancillary products to the short film.

Other research that I conducted included the research into short films. I did extensive research on both short films and films that had storylines similar to mine e.g. Sliding Doors. I made notes of the conventions of both and considered the different shots, costumes, props, locations etc. I also considered my target audience and found that most short films were aimed at young adults. This is shown, in the films, by the unusual methods of filming, young actors, and use of a message, which is meant to be conveyed to the viewer. My target audience did include young adults, but also aimed to educate people, in general. I therefore used the issue of homelessness, which appeals to everyone, including adults. I also chose to include references to the woman’s job to add to the universal appeal that I wanted the film to have. When I asked people, as part of my questionnaire, about the reasons they viewed the film as successful; one person said that its universal appeal was significant. Others said that the poster and review marketed the film well. I was glad about the positive feedback that I received, as I had researched both thoroughly.

Page 2

No comments:

Post a Comment